Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Best media for dry tumbling?

So I've recently saved up enough pennies to get a dry tumbler. I've already caught on that lizard bedding made from walnut is the same as the walnut media. I also see that corn cob media's out there. When do you use walnut and when corn cob? The walnut seems to be doing a good job, especially when I occasionally put in a couple squirts of ammonia free Wright's Silver Cleaner and Polish (which also says it can be used on brass). Thanks for the advice.

Title
    Administrator
    Walnut is abrasive, and cleans fast, but the shine isn't as good, and the surface of the brass has micro scratches.
    14-20 Corn Cob with a good polish added, will really shine, but may take a bit more time to really get brass clean.

Title
    Corncob and Nu Finish is a popular combo and one I use myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I use the Hornady corn cob media with a capful of NuFinish in my Lyman. It works great. I also add a couple 2” squares of used dryer sheet which seems to help with dust and keeping media cleaner than without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    You can also add just a little mineral spirits to the media to help with dust.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmorgan123 View Post
    So I've recently saved up enough pennies to get a dry tumbler. I've already caught on that lizard bedding made from walnut is the same as the walnut media. I also see that corn cob media's out there. When do you use walnut and when corn cob? The walnut seems to be doing a good job, especially when I occasionally put in a couple squirts of ammonia free Wright's Silver Cleaner and Polish (which also says it can be used on brass). Thanks for the advice.
    Corn cob for me hands down.... with a little cap full of liquid NuFinish car wax.... Northern Tool you can get a 50# sack for $40....

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
    I use walnut for cleaning prior to loading and cob with a little polish after to make things pretty.
    Nemo me impune lacessit